How to Apply to the Master's Program

Summary of Admissions Procedures

Apply to the Master’s in Education Program here.

Procedures for Applying

Deadline for applying (fall semester entry): April 1st. Following faculty review, applicants will be notified of their admission status.

Candidates must show satisfactory preparation for the proposed course of study and meet general requirements for admission outlined in the HSU Handbook for Master’s Students. Candidates must:

  • Hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution (or equivalent academic preparation)
  • Be in good academic standing at the last university attended.
  • Have a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted.

If the bachelor’s degree is from a postsecondary institution where English is not the principal language of instruction, score at least 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

Submit a complete application, including a statement of purpose. Faculty will rate each applicant’s statement of purpose and recommendation letters based on evidence of:

    • a clearly articulated rationale for pursuing graduate work;
    • strong writing ability;
    • ability to reflect critically on experiences in education;
    • a clearly articulated philosophy of education;
    • ability to conceptualize a broad vision for education;
    • strong interpersonal communication skills;
    • full-time teaching, administrative, and/or other professional experience in education; and
    • strong potential for success in graduate study and for contributions to the profession.

Those with no degree objective who still desire to take graduate-level courses for professional or personal growth (post-baccalaureate unclassified students) may be admitted to courses subject to availability and instructor approval. Such admission, however, does not constitute admission to the graduate degree program. Students in this classification should seek approval from the department’s graduate advisor as well as the course instructor. The department will provide the necessary forms.

Contact Financial Aid for general financial aid information, Graduate Studiesfor information on grants and fellowships, and the department’s graduate coordinator for education-related assistance.